Bakmi Lim and Hokkaido Cheese Tarts

If you haven't had a bowl of Bakmi Lim Noodles then you are missing out big time. With two locations in Adelaide there is no excuse not to try this amazing explosion of flavour. I went down to their second location inside Rundle Place, which has only been open for about two weeks, and grabbed a bowl of noodles and a bao bun.


Heaven in a bowl is the only way to describe this dish. Hand made spinach noodles, steamed greens, chilli, fried shallots and my choice of Char Sui Pork. The noodles give way easily when you bite them but they also have a slight bounce. The Char Sui pork was tender, flavour packed and had some great little crunchy ends that were like flavour bombs exploding in your mouth. I've had this once before with the roast pork and it was nice but the Char Sui is out of this world. There are other options such as chicken, tofu and mushroom. The greens help add balance to the dish and break up the fattiness from the pork. If you cant handle the heat then say no to the chilli as they don't mess around here, it isn't like a sweet chilli sauce and really adds heat to the dish. I could eat this dish every day for the rest of my life, breakfast, lunch which is why it's a good thing I live so far away, otherwise I would turn into a bowl of noodles myself.


Bakmi Lim offer small snack dishes as well and I decided to try the Bao bun with a roast pork filling. I have been wanting to try one of these steamed buns for some time now and just never got myself one so when I saw them on the menu I couldn't say no. The bun itself is almost flavourless, just a plain savoury steamed bun. The real treasure is the filling inside, pork roasted to perfection with fat that just melted away in your mouth, tender meat and crunchy crackling. A mix of pickled veggies and greens added to the dish and made for a fantastic filling snack. I can't believe I've waited so long to have these, although I do feel like the filling is where all the flavour is at.

Hokkaido Cheese Tarts
These have been popping up all over social media lately and it was by chance I stumbled upon them. I was heading for Bakmi Lim and spotted Hokkaido's small shop in the middle of the food court in Rundle Place and just had to see what all the fuss was about. I bought the two selections they had on offer, Original and Chocolate.

The original cheese tart is amazing. A buttery pastry crust that's not too sweet and not too savoury holds a creamy, almost custard like filling. It is cheesy but also sweet and creamy and unlike anything I have ever had before. I can imagine that these would be mind blowing fresh out of the oven but even after buying them in the afternoon and not eating them until the evening they were stunning.  

The chocolate version was delicious but not as amazing as the original one. The filling is just as creamy with a more custard like texture and the nuts on top added a nice crunch. The tart isn't any sweeter because of the added chocolate and still maintains the balance between savoury and sweet. A perfect treat to be had at any time of the day.


Do yourself a flavour and pop into Rundle Place right now and eat your fill of this amazing food on offer.


Comments

Popular Posts