A Tonic for all your troubles

Feeling tired? Run down? Big day ahead? Utonic has a drink for all those needs. I had been meaning to try these myself as working in a kitchen most of the week you can get pretty exhausted. On your feet all day sometimes without eating until odd hours, you always need a little pick me and often I find myself falling for the quick rush that you get from sugar packed energy drinks. While I don't mind one on the rare occasion its nice to be able to have a healthy option, especially an Australian made one. 

Toby Yap, Leigh Morgan, Tyson Goldsack, Michael Brinkley and Collingwood Football Club dietitian Dr Emily Walker are the creators behind these tonics. Made by people always on the go, who needed an option to help cope with travel, work and busy lives while maintaing a healthy body and mind they put their brains together and now we have Utonic.

Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free and Preserved Naturally, how amazing is that?


Charge
I thought it would be perfect to try this when I was feeling tired and had an evening shift, I really needed a boost and some natural energy. This drink is specifically aimed from those with a big day coming up, if your tired or working late. I was all of the above. The ingredients are apple and lemon juice from concentrate, kale puree, spirulina, green tea and natural flavour. The colour is a deep green, earthy and a little murky. The smell has a strong spirulina smell, grassy and a bit sweet. The taste is strong, lots of kale and green, with earthy notes from the tea. The apple and lemon didn't really appear, they seemed to be overpowered by the super greens in this blend. I wouldn't mind some mint or kiwi to add a little more freshness but I did enjoy it and while you don't feel a rush like you would drinking an energy drink I certainly had energy throughout the day and it was a lot easier to get through the evening shift at work. I felt better for drinking it and would have it again.


Repair
After working a night shift and only 5 hours of sleep I thought this would be what I needed to boost myself after a few hours work in the morning. The ingredients in this one are the Utonic juice blend made from blueberries, sour cherry and pomegranate (from concentrate) sweet ginger, turmeric extract, natural flavour. The colour of this one was a little more inviting due to its red hue then the green one was at first glance. The smell is very earthy, like dirt after the rain, which is a smell I like. There is a spicy smell from the ginger and turmeric extract as well which ties in to the earthy smell. With all the fruit in it I was expecting a more fruity flavour but the ginger takes over and while not unpleasant it does take a bit to adjust to. Drink it while it's cold if you aren't a huge ginger fan as the taste gets stronger the warmer the beverage gets.

Calm
We all get stressed, anxious and overwhelmed in our day to day lives, some more then others but we all try and find something to help us relax. Many reach for a glass of wine or some comfort food and while I'm no exception I do like trying new ways to help me achieve my Zen, especially when summer is here and I'm too hot for a nice warm cup of tea. Full of apple and sour cherry juice, chamomile tea, decaffeinated green tea, natural flavours and passionflower extract this one has more of a punch then the other two which is surprising since it is meant to calm me. The colour is very similar to the repair flavour but a completely different flavour profile. Full of sour cherry notes this is deep, there is a depth to the smell and flavour that wasn't present in the other ones. Hints of spice, but mostly a deep sour cherry smell, like cherries that have been stewing for a few hours until the flavour has darkened. The taste is very close to the smell. Lots of depth and flavour, the underlying deep current of cherry. While not my favourite of the three, it's not unpleasant but not a flavour I see helping calm myself down. I would lean more towards green tea (I know this already has green tea but its very subtle and against the cherry flavour you wouldn't even know it was in there), jasmine and lighter flavours, I personally don't like to overwhelm my palate when I'm trying to calm down.


Overall the Charge flavour was my favourite. I enjoyed the flavour and it made me feel good. The others were fine but if I had to pick one to drink all the time then the Charge one would be it. I still feel that adding some kiwi wouldn't be a bad idea but it's still pretty tasty without. 

If you are on the go and needing a recharge or something to help you slow down then do yourself a flavour and pick up a Utonic today.


Comments

Popular Posts