The Apple Doesnt Fall Far From the Tree

It really doesn't when The Rotten Fruit box is around to collect the fruit and turn it into an amazing snack box for you.

This has to be one of my favourite subscription boxes hands down. Not only do I feel like I'm getting a box full of candy (because fruit is natures candy) I feel like I'm doing something to support farmers whose produce would otherwise go to waste.

Because I change my subscription up all the time to be able to bring your reviews like this I haven't actually committed to an ongoing one yet, but if I had to pick a box to get all the time then this would be the one for me. I bought myself another once off box with 8 snack pouches included. I didn't do any customisation and just let them pack the fruit available.

Small and tangy, these don't have as much flavour as the other fruit but they are fun to try. Currents really have the flavour explosion going for them when they are fresh and juicy so they are a little lacking once freeze dried but added to your granola or yogurt these would be a great snack. I don't think I would order them again but it was fun to try and I know that they didn't go to waste rotting on the ground as they might have if it wasn't for The Rotten Fruit Box.

Dried apples are great and these were just as high quality as the previous packets I have had. Crunchy and fruity with a strange touch of saltiness these were very easy to snack on. Perfect straight from the bag, you don't need to add these to anything but you absolutely could.

I couldn't resist picking the picture with the bee flying by. It has just become spring in Australia and the blossoms in our backyard as bursting forth, which is such a beautiful sight. I had these last time in my first box and again they were really enjoyable. Raspberries range from sweet to tart and the freeze dried ones are no different. Some people may think they are a little too tart but I personally love that. Raspberries hold a very special place in my heart. My Granddad (my fathers father) grew raspberries and would always save them for me to pick knowing how much I loved them. I always did one for me and one for the basket. After he passed away, my Granny, on one of her trips back to their house placed a small bag around one of the last raspberries on the bushes just to save it for me and it was the sweetest raspberry I have had in years. Rotten Fruit box do an amazing job preserving the flavour and if you love raspberries as much as I do and enjoy their sweet but tart flavour then your should order these.

I got cherries in the last box but they weren't sour ones as far as I am aware. While I'll always love fresh cherries more then anything else these were super delicious. Very tangy and sour but with a deep sweetness that lingered in the aftertaste. I could have eaten an entire packet but I rationed it out as I only had one bag so I didn't want it to end too quickly. These would make a great baking companion as well as fresh cherries lose their flavour when cooked, in my opinion. Cookies, muffins, brownies the possibilities are endless.

Strawberries will always hold a special place in my heart and I don't think I have had a freeze dried one I didn't enjoy. Unlike last time these strawberries were done whole. Either way they were delicious and bursting full of flavour. Sweet, a little tangy and in your face these are one of the highlights of the box.

Figs fresh are some of the most amazing fruit and also extremely interesting. Certain types of figs are either male or female, thus they aren't able to pollinate themselves and need a special type of wasp to help that process. The wasps crawl inside a hole so small that they lose their wings and then if the fig is a male(Inedible, called caprifigs that produce pollen) they lay their eggs, the larvae hatch and fly off taking the fig pollen with them. If the fig happens to be female, then the wasp can pollenate the fig but not lay the eggs and die. Figs contain a special enzyme that breaks down the body completely so there is nothing left once the fig is ripe. Nature is truly fascinating. These were interesting to try as I have never had freeze dried figs before but they didn't blow me away. A little lacking on flavour but delivering on the crunch factor 100%. They would make a great topping but on their own they didn't make the best snack. I think I will add them to smoothie bowls for a bit of something different.
 
Eh. Blueberries really only work for me when they are fresh, even frozen cannot compare to fresh. These are okay but I wouldn't get them again, they do have flavour but it is very diminished. I think adding these to granola, muesli or yogurt would be a good idea. They are very healthy for you and make a great additive in this form but on their own don't blow me away. 

Another familiar flavour but also delicious. Creamy and melt in your mouth but also crunchy at the same time once you start eating these it is hard to stop. These have never been a disappointment when ordering this box. I've never enjoyed the hard solid banana chips that you can find in the dried fruit section but freeze dried ones are always full of flavour and much easier to eat.


I really do recommend this box and think they are doing something great by trying to reduce the massive amounts of food waste that go on in this world. Use the link below to get your own box today.

The Rotten Fruit Box

Do yourself a flavour and get on board today


Comments

Popular Posts